Monday, June 8, 2009

Pregnancy Etiquette. (In my opinion)

Okay, so the last 6 months have kind of opened my eyes to a lot of things, and have really showed me some people's personalities. Now once again, I don't mean to offend anyone in this post. I just need to get somethings off my chest about my experiences in this journey.

Some rules I think shouldn't be broken, but of course, some people feel differently than I do...

Rule #1
After someone is already pregnant, and they are obviously excited about this blessed event, and you think they may need to grow up a little more, please don't voice your opinion to them. If you think it is stupid, keep it to yourself, or tell someone you can confide in. You would be surprised how bad feelings can be hurt by those comments. (This never happened to me, but I am sad to say that it did happen to someone that I know, and they ended up leaving their job because they were tired of coming home from work in tears because of peoples unwanted opinions.)

Rule #2
Unless the topic of conversation heads this direction, please do not tell a pregnant woman your horror stories about giving birth. I am sure that she (especially if it is her first) is a little nervous, so why would she want to hear all of these horrible things about giving birth if she didn't ask, and doesn't know how her body handles birthing?

Rule #3
If you personally chose to have the baby completely natural, with no assistance of an epidural or local anesthetic, good for you! That is awesome! But, if you encounter someone that has chosen to use the drugs, please don't say anything about how they may not be as strong, and how natural is so much better etc. Obviously if they have been giving these drugs for so long, they aren't THAT horrible.

Rule #4
Unless you are asked, please PLEASE don't give advice. In my opinion, there are only a few people are allowed to give advice when not asked. And please do not assume you are that person, unless you are (at least for me) a parent of the woman having the child!

Rule #5
If you know someone is pregnant, and they are getting a little further along, and you may be able to tell, even in the slightest bit, please tell them! I bet they feel like they are getting huge, and are probably feeling bad that their clothes aren't hanging on them like they once did. The reminder that they look pregnant, and that they aren't just gaining weight would probably help their opinion on their looks.

Rule #6
Again, UNLESS YOU ARE ASKED, please don't suggest names, they may not share your opinion on what is a good name. And if they tell you some names they are thinking of... DO NOT say you don't like it, or its ugly, or a way to make fun of it, or say eww, or anything like that!!!! I guarantee, they will not be very happy! ESPECIALLY if it has already been a little difficult for them to agree on any names, and it is a bit of a miracle that they have a possibility for a name!!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously if they have it as a possibility that means that they like the name. And just because people haven't said negative things about your children's names, it doesn't mean they necessarily think the names you have chosen are so great, it may just mean they may be a little more conscious of the fact that you like the name and therefore you have every right to name them that name and it doesn't matter what other people think!

Okay, I feel better... sorry, just some observations I have made.

Once again... Thanks for listening!

4 comments:

  1. You tell 'em girl! Oh, and by the way, can I give you a piece of advice........? (just kidding). :-D (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least I live far away so I don't have the chance to break ALL the rules. ;) I understand it must be frustrating to have all those inputs coming in from all different directions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Ha! Well said! I find myself wondering if I am one of those annoying, thoughtless, full-of-advice people! :)

    I love ya Hannah!

    ..hey what do ya think about the name Jemaunika. Two in one! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my heck, these are so fantastic! I totally agree! Don't you love everyone's strange comments. People need to shut up! You great by the way.

    ReplyDelete